This is a tasty recipe for making delicious cowboy-style hamburgers. (That means they're smothered in a tasty gravy.) This recipe is a variation on the one provided in "More Calf Fries to Caviar" and makes additional gravy. It's sure to please so give it a go!
2 lb. hamburger meat
4 slices onion (use sweet onions)
4 slices Provolone cheese
3 to 4 chopped jalapenos
- Make hamburger into 8 flat patties
- Place onion, cheese and jalapenos on 4 of the patties
- Place remaining 4 patties on top, and seal the edges
- Place in a skillet, brown on both sides
- Remove from skillet, leaving juices in the pan to make gravy.
6 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. flour (heaping)
4 cups water (or less, depending on how thick you like your gravy)
- Place oil and flour in skillet with pan juices; brown that mixture, using a wooden spoon to stir as it browns
- Gradually add 4 cups water
- Stir until slightly thickened, and add patties.
- Cook 15 minutes longer; turn patties over, then simmer 10-15 minutes more.