(*For 9" or deep-dish pie plate)
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. cold water
7-8 tart apples (or enough to mound over edge of plate)
2/3-3/4 c. sugar mixed with 1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
- Crust: Sift flour and salt together. Cut shortening into flour. Add liquid; roll out to fit pie plate.
- Filling: Place sliced apples in crust; cover with cinnamon-sugar mixture to desired sweetness. Sprinkle flour over top. Cut butter into small pieces; dot over filling.
- Topping: Cream butter and brown sugar with electric mixer; cut in flour with pastry cutter. Sprinkle pie with topping.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350; bake another 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream.